Warning: pg_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on PostgreSQL result index 140135736156592 in /home/welcometoparis/Basi_PHP/Main/Sostituzioni/def_html on line 5
Brasserie Restaurant Café Le Procope - French - Welcome to Italy







 
 
 


13, rue de l´Ancienne Comédie
75006 -
Arrondissement 06
Tel.: (+33) 01 40 46 79 00
Fax: (+33) 01 40 46 79 09

Position: St. Germain des Prés
Cooking: traditional


Environment: Refined, elegant, characteristic, quiet



Open all year round


Places available: 100



Parking: yes


AmericanExpress, Bank/Americad/Visa, DinersClub, EuroCard, MasterCard


Spoken Languages:
English


The oldest cafe in the world Le Rendez-vous des Arts et des Lettres
In 1686 a gentleman from Palermo, Francesco Procopio dei Coltelli, opened a coffee-shop in the Rue des Fossés-Saint-Germain (today the Rue de 1’Ancienne-Comédie). The excellence of his beverages and sherbets, the agreeable surroundings, the proximity of the old Comédie-Française; all these factors contributed to the popularity of his establishment. It very soon became a meeting-place for people of sensibility, and the first literary coffee-shop was born. For more than two centuries everyone who was anyone (or who hoped to become someone) in the worlds of the arts, letters and politics, frequented the CAFE PROCOPE. Voltaire came here, and Rousseau; Beaumarchais, Balzac, Verlaine and Hugo; from La Fontaine to Anatole France the list of the habitués of the PROCOPE is a list of the great names in French literature. It was here in the 18th century that the new liberal philosophy was expounded; this was the cafe of the Encyclopedistes, of Diderot, d’Alembert and Benjamin Franklin; the history of the PROCOPE is closely linked with eighteenth century revolutionary ideas. Robespierre, Danton and Marat used the cafe as a meeting place, and the young lieutenant Napoleon Bonaparte left his hat here as a pledge. The PROCOPE of today is still faithful to the memory of its distinguished past. The table of Voltaire is still here, at once a symbol and a festimony of permanence, ready to welcome new distinctions.